Saturday, February 24, 2024
Home Wedding Cars Meghan "clearly misinformed" with allegation about previous wedding, says ex-official

Meghan “clearly misinformed” with allegation about previous wedding, says ex-official

The former Sussex wedding licensed official says Meghan was “clearly misinformed” after the Duchess claimed she and Harry held a secret wedding ceremony at St George’s Chapel in Windsor prior to meeting .

The Duchess said in the couple’s controversial interview with Oprah Winfrey earlier this month that she and Harry had a secret ceremony with the Archbishop of Canterbury in their “back yard” three days before their royal wedding.

It was believed that it might not have been a legal ceremony due to the lack of witnesses and a registered venue, and instead it was likely an informal exchange of vows.

Stephen Borton, the former senior executive in the faculty office, told The Sun that Meghan “is obviously confused and clearly misinformed.”

“You did not get married before the Archbishop of Canterbury three days earlier,” he said.

“The special license I helped design enabled them to get married at St. George’s Chapel in Windsor. What happened there on May 19, 2018, and seen by millions of people around the world, was the official wedding recognized by the Church of England and the law.

“I suppose they exchanged a few simple vows, which they may have written themselves and which are in vogue, saying it was before the archbishop or, more likely, a simple rehearsal.”

Meghan told Oprah she was considering suicide while pregnant (Toby Melville / PA)

The newspaper also printed a certified copy of a marriage document for the couple dated May 19, 2018, bearing the names of Charles and Meghan’s mother, Doria Ragland, as witnesses.

The wedding development was just a revelation in the Winfrey interview. Meghan and Harry accused an unnamed member of the royal family – neither the Queen nor the Duke of Edinburgh – of voicing concerns about how dark their son Archie’s skin tone would be before he was born.

The Duke also said none of his relatives spoke out on behalf of Meghan after the racism she’s faced in the media. The Duchess said she had suicidal thoughts in response to the attacks.

Buckingham Palace previously said the issues raised in Harry and Meghan’s interview, particularly during the race, were “worrying” and were being raised privately by the Queen and her family.

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular

Recent Comments