Sunday, July 14, 2024
Home Latest F1 News LIVE: Lewis Hamilton remains closed to the future as teams...

F1 News LIVE: Lewis Hamilton remains closed to the future as teams tease new cars

Lewis Hamilton is knighted after F1 title fear

Speculations about Lewis Hamilton’s future in Formula 1 continue to dominate the sport ahead of the coming 2022 season, with the seven-time world champion remaining silent since his controversial defeat in Abu Dhabi.

The FIA ​​received the most criticism after Max Verstappen took his first title on the final lap of the season. Meanwhile, Race Director Michael Masi’s decision-making is under further investigation. Stefan Johansson is the newest ex-driver to wonder if athletic integrity has been sacrificed for entertainment.

Red Bull boss Christian Horner insisted that the sport should “go away” after the drama in Abu Dhabi. Mercedes also tweeted a cryptic picture of Hamilton with the caption: “Resistance lets some break; others to break records, ”in the clearest indication so far that the Briton will be back for another attempt to break Michael Schumacher’s record.

Follow all the news below.

F1 latest news

Show the latest update
1641547760

The 2021 season leaves a “bitter taste”

The 2021 season leaves a bitter aftertaste due to the decisions made in the last race, according to Sky expert Johnny Herbert.

Race director Michael Masi has come under fire for allowing some cars to out-lap themselves, allowing Max Verstappen to win. Herbert says this shouldn’t have happened and Lewis Hamilton should have picked up his eighth title.

“That should never have happened and it should never have happened again,” he told Motor Sport Magazine. “This leaves a bitter taste.

“Lewis had done absolutely nothing wrong, Red Bull had made the right decisions about strategy. Then it just seemed unfair that Lewis lost when he had no chance of a fight.

“So what should have happened? The track was clear, but there was no time to let the unrounded cars pass. They should have been released to drive the five unrounded cars between Hamilton and Verstappen. That way, it could have been a two-lap shootout with Max having to overtake those cars before he could get to Lewis.

Sarah RendellJanuary 7, 2022 9:29 AM

1641547266

Verstappen: It would be difficult to win without the Safety Car

Max Verstappen admitted that Lewis Hamilton would have won the world title without the safety car used at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

Hamilton led the race all the way to the safety car, with Race Director Michael Masi making the decision to allow some cars to lap themselves once the track was safe. This enabled Verstappen to get back into the race and overtook Hamilton on the last lap.

He said Sky; “It looked very tough out there. Of course I could see that they (Mercedes) were faster. I think we tried everything as a team and then I said to myself: ‘I’ll just give everything here, drive to the limit, give everything, not make it easy for them.’

“We took the tires. Maybe you could say in retrospect that if they had taken the tires, I would have stayed outside and then you reversed the scenario. “

Sarah RendellJanuary 7, 2022 9:21 AM

1641546771

Verstappen: Luck came at the right time

The 2021 season was a bumpy ride for Max Verstappen, who crashed several times with Lewis Hamilton, but managed to claim his first world title.

The controversial circumstances surrounding the win are well documented, but Verstappen believes that if he had been lucky at the start of the season, the title race would not have run out to the last race.

“It’s always difficult to really use the right word for it, but you need a bit of luck in life, and I don’t think I was really lucky in the season until then – otherwise I think the championship would” became a lot decided earlier, “said Verstappen in an interview with Sky Sports.

“Luck came at the right time for me and then of course you have to take advantage of what we did as a team.”

Sarah RendellJanuary 7, 2022 9:12 am

1641546327

Verstappen praised for tactics

Verstappen won his first title under sensational circumstances at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.

“The way he did [Verstappen] Drives, that’s what I find most impressive …[if] There’s a loophole, he goes on it, there’s not even a doubt, “he told Channel 4.” I’ve weighed, ‘should I risk it now, should I not risk it,’ he simply says, ‘I can see the cookie ” he risks it for the biscuit, he just goes, it’s really something very special.

“And when you see Lewis defending himself against it, Lewis is an exceptional racing driver but he had to open the door more than once because he ran into him, when he fired he ran into fire and how do you fight on fire ? “

Sarah RendellJanuary 7, 2022 9:05 am

1641545925

Serious words from the team manager for Jos Verstappen

Red Bull team manager Graham Watson says he had to be open to Jos Verstappen, Max’s father, to tell the team what to do.

Verstappen joined Red Bull in 2016 and had a successful rookie season, but Watson has provided a glimpse into the way his father was on the team.

He told Motorsport.com: “Of course Jos was used to being in full control of Max’s career from the karting days.

“When Max came to us, the team looked different than today, less professional. Jos may have doubted whether our team would be able to continue helping his son in F1.

“What caught my eye is the fact that Jos patted me on the shoulder every day and asked, ‘Graham, what about this and what about it?’ At some point I had to be a bit blunt and say, ‘For God’s sake, just let the team members do their job.’ “

Sarah RendellJanuary 7, 2022 8:58 am

1641545383

For Russell, Mercedes life will be “intense”

George Russell expects the pace of life to pick up when he starts with Mercedes in the 2022 season.

Russell was previously with Williams for three years and says playing on one of F1’s top teams is a whole new ball game.

He told Motorsport.com: “From Williams, where I was pretty lucky in some ways and didn’t have to do that much marketing just because of the type of position we were in, it went to Mercedes, where we did loads Sponsors and a lot of commitments that drivers have to take care of.

“This will also depend on COVID. Everything is ramped up with all the drivers and all teams because the partners missed the activation of 18 months.

“From the racing and off-track side, it’s going to be incredibly intense.”

Sarah RendellJanuary 7, 2022 8:49 AM

1641544856

Ocon wants to take part in the Hamilton-Verstappen fight

Esteban Ocon says he wants to fight for a world title and join the fight between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen.

Hamilton and Verstappen were title rivals throughout the 2021 season, staging one of the greatest F1 battles of all time.

“When you see these fights between Lewis and Max, you want to get involved. I’m not going to lie, ”Ocon told Motorsport.com. “It would be fantastic to be able to constantly fight for victories and podium places. Hopefully this is how Formula 1 works and with the new regulations, this seems like a dream. Hopefully it will become a reality.

“I work very hard. Fernando [Alonso] and i don’t go on much vacation. The goal is to spend as much time in the factory as possible. “

Sarah RendellJanuary 7, 2022 8:40 am

1641544438

Russell talks about “emotionally brutal” F1 moments

George Russell is aiming for more podiums in the 2022 season as he moves to Mercedes.

With his two defeats in Bahrain, he talked about moments in his Formula 1 career when bad luck or performances were “emotionally brutal”.

“These are the four moments in my three years that struck me and that were pretty brutal emotionally,” Russell told Autosport. “It was easy to learn to deal with. You often feel like you’ve let the whole site down if you make a mistake and don’t let it drain you [is vital] Because in order to win a championship, you ultimately have to compete over 23 races.

“You may have a bad race in the first race, but you need to recover from it. Or maybe you have a bad race in the middle of the season – it can’t affect the races that follow.

“So [you must] almost forgot, carry on and try to concentrate on the next race, because memories are short-lived in Formula 1. I look back on Bahrain with no frustration or harsh feelings. I think that made me a stronger driver. “

Sarah RendellJanuary 7, 2022 8:33 AM

1641543921

The fans’ reaction to the 2021 season was “scary”

F1 supporters are still debating the end of the 2021 season after Max Verstappen controversially won the world title.

He and Lewis Hamilton started the last race tied and had everything to play for. Hamilton led the majority of the race until Nicholas Latifi crashed and a safety car was deployed. Race director Michael Masi let the race go on and allowed some cars to lap one lap before the end.

This allowed Verstappen to overtake Hamilton and claim the crown. Some fans were outraged when some Latifi even sent death threats for crashing, and the reaction has been described as “scary” by former commentator Alexey Popov.

He told Championat.com: “I always thought Formula 1 was different from football, for example. I was very happy and proud that we have much smarter fans who respect each other.

“Respectful to the drivers who are cheering them on, but also to the other drivers and their teams. This year it was just scary at times: I see people talking crap about each other. To be honest, this is not Formula 1 that I was once proud of. “

Sarah RendellJanuary 7, 2022 8:25 AM

1641543390

Ricciardo “jealous” of Hamilton and Verstappen’s title fight

Daniel Ricciardo says he had mixed feelings about Lewis Hamilton’s fight with Max Verstappen for the 2021 World Cup.

The two were suspended with the same number of points before the last race and Verstappen overtook Hamilton on the last lap to secure his first title. Ricciardo, who has not yet won a championship, says he is jealous of the fight that is going on in front of him.

“Of course I’m jealous,” he said in a press call at the end of the season, as quoted by GP fans. “But I’ve been jealous for eight or nine years. It’s nothing new, but of course it’s exciting to think of.

“For me, like everyone else, I’m a fan, I’m a driver, but I’m still a fan of the sport. It’s been great and put aside envy, it’s great for F1 to fight the battle. I can’t remember a year when two guys stood side by side in so many races. I feel like 75 percent of the races have been wheel to wheel at some point, so it’s pretty awesome. “

Sarah RendellJanuary 7, 2022 8:16 am