Wednesday, February 28, 2024
Home Latest The police attacked and the car was set on fire when bags...

The police attacked and the car was set on fire when bags of violence flared up again

Police were attacked with missiles and a car was set on fire when small pockets of unrest flared up again in Northern Ireland.

PSNI officials have visited the scene in Tiger Bay, a loyalist area in north Belfast, with emergency vehicles and police dogs in tow.

Some officers have been attacked, rockets such as rocks and bottles have been thrown at them, and reports of gasoline bombs have been used.

There is a heavy police presence in the area, with reports that stones have also been thrown at police in the nearby, nationalist New Lodge area.

PSNI Chief Superintendent Muir Clarke said: “We ask for calm in the area and ask everyone who has influence on the communities to use that influence to ensure that young people are not involved in crime and that they are To be safe and kept away is a shame tonight. “

Sporadic riots broke out in Northern Ireland on Friday evening. A street was reportedly blocked with a barricade which was then set on fire in Coleraine, Derry.

Loyalist leaders had urged the community not to participate in protests on the Friday following the Duke of Edinburgh’s death.

On Lanark Way, the scene of much of the unrest in recent days, there were signs that read: “We would ask that all PUL (Protestant, Unionist, Loyalist) protests be postponed as a show of respect for the Queen and the Royal Family .

“The ongoing opposition to the NI Protocol and all other injustices against the PUL community will resume after the mourning period.”

Meanwhile, two men are due to appear in court on Saturday after being charged in connection with the riots in Lanark Way, west Belfast, on Thursday evening.

Detectives investigating the disorder have charged a 24-year-old man and a 32-year-old man with rioting.

The 32-year-old has also been charged with possession of a gasoline bomb under suspicious circumstances.

They are due to appear before the Magistrates’ Court in Belfast at around 10:30 a.m.

As usual, all charges will be reviewed by the prosecutor.

Earlier, Deputy First Secretary Michelle O’Neill expressed concern that the violence of the past few days will continue throughout the weekend.

The Vice President of Sinn Féin said: “I’m worried about the coming weekend. We all have to be very careful and very consciously try to do everything we can to prevent this.

“I hope and urge all young people not to get involved, not to allow themselves to be used or manipulated in any way and to stay off the streets, stay at home and stay safe.”

She added: “I think the two governments play a strong role here as co-guarantors of the Good Friday Agreement. I referred this to (Secretary of State) Brandon Lewis this morning.

“It’s really very important that we stand shoulder to shoulder and say no to this type of criminal behavior and that we don’t let our children get sucked in by criminal gangs who orchestrate some of what we see on our streets. ”


Most Popular

Recent Comments